Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lamenting my collecting habits

I am at a crossroads right now when it comes to collecting. See, I am a weird person that never really got out of the hobby. I stopped buying boxes and trying to assemble sets back in the early 90s. Instead I just would buy a Topps factory set each year and just say "forget it". That was primarilly due to budget constraints, etc. This presents a problem on my part because I don't know what to do anymore. I have been trained to think that any product above $X is to much and I will pass on it.

What has happened when I pass on buying only sets and not boxes to hand collate the set is that I can't tell you what any of the cards look like. The desings on the past 15 or so years all look the same and I can't distinguish them in my head. Now, I can tell the difference between a 90 and 91 Leaf, or a 89, 90, 91 Upper Deck because I saw a lot of them. If you put a 93, 94 and 95 Topps card in front of my I probalby could not pick out which card belongs to which year,

Why am I rambling: easy, it is the 2010 Topps set. I have seen the sell sheets and the images. I really like the way the cards look. But I don't know if I want to pay about $50 per box to buy 4 boxes and try and collect the set by hand. Going back and trying to complete 92 Ultra by hand is easy and justifiable at the prices i can find boxes for, but I don't know about Topps.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

  1. You have to ask yourself why you are collecting. If it is to chronicle each year, then maybe the full set is the cheap way to go. But get those cards out of that box. Read the backs, organize them by team, create all-star teams, throw away all the braves. Do something with them. Collecting sets is expensive but fun. If your goal is to interact with the cards in such a way that you have to have that last card of some middle reliever, then collect away? The blogverse can help you do it but you will need more than one box. You may want to focus on the Tigers. For me, less is becoming more. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete